Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Eve by Anna Carey

Eve
by Anna Carey
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: October 4, 2011

Format: Paperback, 333 pages

Source: Received for Review through Netgalley

The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life
    - Summary from Goodreads 

My Thoughts 
 
Initial Thoughts: I've read so many dystopian novels this year that I've lost track. Even after being bombarded with them throughout the year, I was still excited to read Eve. I hoped to immerse myself in a new fleshed out dystopian world. Sadly, that didn't happen for me.

Our Main Character, Eve: I'm sorry, but I just could not relate to Eve AT ALL. I understand that she led a very sheltered life and was lied to day in and day out, but she still just came off as a very weak and naive character. It would have been okay if she had grown as a person throughout the story, but she really didn't. She constantly relied on others to get her out of scrapes and didn't think about the consequences of her actions. People were hurt because of this girl! 

The Romance: While I enjoyed Eve's love interest, Caleb, on his own as a character, I didn't buy their relationship at all. At the beginning of the novel Eve is terrified of men and thinks they o absolutely no good in the world. Yet almost immediately after meeting Caleb, all of her preconceived notions have changed. I just didn't buy it. This was a case of "insta love" at it's best. Caleb needs to be given a hug though. He was a great guy who really cared for his makeshift family and helped Eve get out of trouble time and time again.

The Plot: The plot made no sense to me. I know why Eve was being chased, but the REASON for it just wasn't compelling. The novel felt like one long chase scene. I'm hoping that I'll understand Ms. Carey's reasoning in the next installment. I really can't go into more detail without spoiling, but if you've read Eve and want to discuss this, let me know!

World Building: The kingdom of New America was intriguing. In New America, a lucky few live a good life, but it comes at the cost of work performed by orphaned slaves. The few children, like Eve, who aren't forced into slavery right away are sent to boarding schools to await equally awful fates. Other than these few tidbits of information, the world building was thin. I wanted to know MORE. Who is this king we hear of? How did the situation really get this bad? What happens to the children who DO still have parents alive? I asked myself these questions and many more.

Final Thoughts: While Eve definitely isn't my favorite dystopian novel, I'm still interested in finding out what happens in the next installment. Will Eve grow a spine? Will I finally get more information on New America? WHY OH WHY do they want to capture Eve so very badly? I guess I shall have to wait and see. In the meantime, don't let my lackluster review of Eve deter you from checking out this book! If you are a fan of fast paced dystopians and epic chases, give Eve a shot! I'd be interested in hearing  your thoughts.

  2.5 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Adori Graphics using digital elements by Adorible Digital Designs